Wednesday 13 July 2011

Twin-tastic!

Today was the day.  The first scan.  Nervous questions circulating in our brains leading up to this  day whipped up into a worry-cyclone by yesterday evening.  Would the baby be healthy?  How far along am I really?  Are all the body parts present and accounted for?  

Thom and I ate comfort food of beef chilli and big chunky chips in front of the TV, each in the silent knowledge that the other was wrestling their own anxieties.  A few friends sent supportive texts.  One read: 'Good luck tomorrow.  Hope everything is in pairs (except the head of course) :-)xx'.

My friend has flexed a pretty impressive and eerie 6th sense about me from the beginning of the pregnancy.  Before the missed period, before the test, he told me there was something strange with me.  I laughed it off then, but his extra-sensory perception was proved right.  After that and a few other incidents of him sensing all things pregnancy-related from a distance,  I could have seen the prophetic potential in his text.  Because today, to our extreme surprise, we indeed saw two of everything on the ultrasound screen.  Two hands, two legs, two feet.....on each baby.

So here they are, the two amazing little babies that were waiting inside to be discovered.  They were active, flipping and reaching for each other, giving the ultrasound operator a job to measure their length and check their age. They are 12 weeks and 6 days today, on the day we saw them for the first time.

The  next stage of this adventure is mapped.  There are 4 of us.  Thom has been browsing double-buggies on eBay and training courses that might propel his career into a twin-worthy wage bracket.  I have been imagining their little bodies, snuggled up and entwined, keeping each other company until we say 'hello' face-to-face.  Under the jittery excitement, there is fear, but I've decided that 'scary' is not a word I can use to describe things I have yet to live through.  Also, this news warrants an extra piece of pizza.  After all, I am eating for three.

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful, congradulations on the twins :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Caroline. And thanks for following!
    jxx

    ReplyDelete