Saturday 6 August 2011

Pregnancy workouts: Maybe not iron-woman, possibly aluminium

I miss the old days of hard sweat in the gym or pounding the pavements out for a long, long jog.  Had a little reminder today of what I missed that tugged at my heart strings.  7am, saw Bianca and I already up and getting ready to head to London for my Advanced Personal Trainer practical exam.  She was a star, getting up and helping me out, surrendering her poor body to my specially selected torture methods.

I've still been training.  I could hardly say good-bye to it for 9 months.  I'd go mad.  But I have a new adjusted for pregnancy routine.  It's not as sweaty, punishing or adrenaline-fuelled.  It's the light version of my normal routine.  And in my estimation, not as fun.

Bianca and I arrived a little early for the exam.  The energy of the gym gets me salivating.  I just want to be released onto the machines, classes and weights, enjoying that Saturday gym-time that needs no clock-watching or rush.  But today we are on a different mission.  And besides, my body is no longer allowed to go quite so mad, for quite so long.

Bad news is, the assessor didn't turn up.  Very unprofessional of them and gutting for Bianca after such an early start.  7am should only exist once a day for her delicate constitution.  We did get a chance to practice the routine, though, and do you know what?  I was jealous.  I wanted to be the one being put through the paces, being told 'more, more, more'!

These past few months, I don't miss many other things.  I don't miss pate or brie.  I don't miss wine.  I don't often miss my platform high heels.  But I do miss my workouts terribly.  There are plenty of things I can do in pregnancy, just not as much, as hard, as challenging as I'd like.

Like the pate, wine and high heels, I will be back into my workouts one day in the near future.  I will doubtlessly get opportunities to work my arms with a baby on each and before long it will probably be a workout just running after them both.  And my Saturday morning gym-time will happen again, but for now my adjusted, slightly-less-than-iron-woman pregnancy routine will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment