Tuesday 25 October 2011

As if there were any doubt, it is confirmed: real women have twins

Okay, so now I'm gonna sing my own praises a little bit.  Hell, I am about to embark on a double tap of diaper duties for the next few years, so indulge me. 

I was more than pleased to read an article today in the evening standard on the commute home:  women who have twins are stronger and live longer. click here to read the article  Not only are us twin-mums stronger but they have other superpowers such as greater reproductive life-spans and they take less time to recover between pregnancies.  Hopefully they have an extra set of arms or selective deafness, too, although these valuable traits were not discussed in the article.  

Not only great news, but something I've been telling myself, possibly in blind hope, for a while.  Terrifying as the prospect of two babies was at that first scan, it seems do-able.  Shortly after the first scan I spoke to a friend and co-worker who was just about to return to us from her maternity leave.  Her words stayed with me: Life only gives you what you can handle. 

At first I focused on the superficial truth of what she said.  Physically, I was ready.  Toned, aerobically trained and mentally prepped for endurance.  In the best shape of my life, to be honest.  I told myself, if anyone can do this, you can. 

But undoubtedly twins pose more than simply physical challenges to their mothers.  And despite my cockiness here, I am susceptible to my moments of freaking out, just like anybody else.   After reading the article and enjoying a little moment of smugness, I wondered if women who have twins are superhuman or if they become superhuman through the challenge of having twins.  After all, physical limits of the human body are regularly tested and exceeded according to the demands of the environment.  Aside from the physical, mentally and emotionally, we are possibly even more resilient and adaptable.

 The words of my friend hold a truth not because I am physically stronger or more resilient than others.  What makes them true is that everyone is made to adjust to even the greatest of life's curve-balls.  We even become better for it.  You can't make a diamond without a lot of pressure. 

Either way, something tells me it's definatly going to be al right.  This article helps to remind me to appreciate my strength and maybe even look out for my hidden superpowers.  But even better, it reminds me that life's greatest challenges are what make us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment