Friday 15 March 2013

Family fun and paleo shakes

A fab little suggestion for healthy, family fun this weekend from Kendra Thornton, worldwide traveller, writer and mom:

Shamrock Shake – A Fabulous Treat to Share with your Family this St. Patrick’s Day!

There's nothing like a vacation to relax the mind while you recharge the senses.  I stayed at the magnificent Fontainebleau on Collins Avenue, amongst some of the top hotels in Miami, and relished my ocean front view. Sunbathing, shopping and of course, eating and drinking beautiful things was renewing me.  

I love trying new flavors when I travel, and the tropical trips always reveal astonishing surprises.  One of my favorite things that I tasted was a pale green shake advertised as healthy.  It was creamy, light, rich and refreshing all at once – reminiscent of the ice cream based Shamrock Shakes we all know, but much more depth of flavor.  I had to discover the recipe so that I could bring it back home to share with my friends and family in Chicago.


Miami bodies are famously fit.  So how could the locals be drinking shakes and still get into their tiny swimsuits?  I was impressed to discover the shake was a “Paleo” recipe, with no dairy, and only the very best super-foods the earth has to offer.  The recipe for this shake is filled with healthy rich flavors and can be easily adapted to any palate or preference.

For your very own “Signature Shamrock Shake - Healthy, Paleo Version” gather the following ingredients:

-1 can coconut milk (you could substitute 1 ¼ cups of any other type of milk here – I especially like almond milk)
-1 ripe avocado, peeled and seed removed
-2 ½ – 3 Tablespoons of pure raw honey (or other sweetener of your choice)
-1 cup of ice
-1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
-1 teaspoon pure peppermint extract

(This recipe yields about 4 cups)

Directions:

Put all of these ingredients into the blender and blend until smooth.  Garnish with a coconut wedge, mint sprig or tiny tropical umbrella.  Enjoy!

The pale green color from the avocado is a decadent and natural treat, but if you would like a more festive dark green color, simply add a few drops of green food coloring.  Your friends will be transported to their own ocean front haven while enjoying the benefits of the Paleo health food trend. Enjoy and Happy St. Patrick’s Day!



No comments:

Post a Comment