Thursday 14 March 2013

Busy Days and Babe Watching

Wednesdays. Usually Wednesdays mean for me, other than the usual early start courtesy of the baby-body-clock, doing some personal training client at CrossFit before dashing home, changing quicker than superman and sprinting to RhymeTime at the library with the Wriggly Man.

It's a busy, hustle bustle morning, but by the to,e we've claimed our place among the floor space filled with the herd of children, babies and mums, the manic pace seems worth it. RhymeTime, a short interlude of songs for kids at the library. Free, fun and under 30 min. Perfect for a little outing for the mum/mom and the not-so-baby-anymore.

Ethan lights up as soon he arrives. Songs, books, people to stare at. All his favourite things. He gets up on his knees and does a little dance, arms flinging wildly, and makes a screechy happy noise. It just says, "Lets rock,"!

He has his favourite tunes. 'Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes' is always a winner, but as he begins to notice all the little actions that go with each song, he is finding new ones to dance for.

He also loves checking out the other children. He watches them walk and toddle with such fascination, open mouthed amazement. He looks at the little ones, the newborns, with wonder and a little nervousness. I start to think that really it would be nice sometimes to be able to do the same. To be able to look brazenly at people that interest me, without shame or fear of judgement.

Instead, all us sensible adults are casting sideways glances at each other. Our process of figuring out if we are friends or not seems more complicated, but really it just takes longer. I notice myself looking around and doing a little comparison, just like Ethan. I marvel at the mums who seem to be juggling about 3 kids, and looking serene. I look at the new mums, with the tiny bundles and get lost thinking of all the ways life changes so quickly.

Doubtlessly, others are looking at me and understandably coming to conclusions. I have just sprayed my sweaty body with a little nice smelling stuff, crammed my tangled hair into a bun and added a splash of mascara while stuffing a chicken breast and broccoli into my face. I could not blame them for thinking that I was a sloppy, scatty lady.

Yet, even with the broccoli in my teeth, I have made as many friends as Ethan at the RhymeTime. Lovely little world where we can all just grab a quick burst of quality time with the kids among what must be crazy-busy days for all of us.



1 comment:

  1. Jess you are amazing inside and out even with the brocoli ;)

    ReplyDelete