Saturday 17 September 2011

Men and boys

Something strange happens to men when Thom tells them he is having twins.  Something even stranger happens when he tells them it's twin boys.  It seems that in the male version of the story of life, bi, manly men make boys. And therefore the manly-est must make twin boys.

I sit back and shake my head at the masculine logic, in all its base and Neanderthal-like glory.  Thom revels in it, and I guess he deserves it.  The poor guy copes with his pregnant wife like a real trooper.  It is generally all about me and my cargo (spent 3 hours on the sofa today, snoozing and watching Spartacus while he cooked curry form scratch), so it's ok that he's been able to puff his chest out a bit over this.  Even though I think his all-male cheering squad are mistaken.

Like a lot of things, this might all start with the story of Adam and the Garden of Eden.  The fellas seem hung up on the idea that being male is the stronger and preferred form of humanity.  Backed up by the Bible which tells us that God made Adam and only knocked together Eve as an afterthought, at Adam's winge that he was a bit lonely.   Excuse the heresy as I put my rough ideas together, but what if men didn't come first?  None of us were there.  History is always written by the victors, and men, having more physical strength in a dangerous world ruled through brute force.  Perhaps it is their interpretation of creation we now have.  So how can we be sure?  Maybe men and women arrived in the garden at once, or even, what if woman came first!

If woman did come first, the story makes just as much sense.  It might have been more likely for a woman to ask for a companion to share the Garden of Eden with, and someone not as good looking as her, as well.  Someone to talk to.  What disappointment when the companion happily sat in silence and loathed to be asked what he was thinking.  Especially if he when did answer, it turned out he wasn't thinking about her!  Oh well, either way, we come in two types and its debatable if one is stronger or preferred. 

To counter the male banter, sex is determined from fertilisation.  Pure chance.  There are sperm that make females and sperm that make males.  Although the male sperm swims faster, the female sperm is reputed to be stronger and longer-living.  So much for the big and tough argument.  Click here for handy answers from the web on how sex is determined

I will now have to reign myself in and resist all this man-woman power struggle stuff.  Maybe I'm feeling just a little worried about how to cope with being completely out-numbered when the twins arrive.  Is it wrong to hope for at least one mummy's boy?  I think I will be able to be reasonable now that I've off-loaded my thoughts on all of you.  After all, Thom and I are hardly ascribing to the traditional gender roles in our household.  I have just ploughed my way through a huge plate of curry; yet another meal cooked by the man of the house.  And now I am sat nursing by huge belly and letting out some very unfeminine burbs as they arise.  From the sounds of this, I should hope for the twins to be just like their dad.  

No comments:

Post a Comment